- For nine years, we owned a nice house in Pendleton, Indiana. Then my wife was called to serve a Scottsdale, Arizona church.
- July 2015:We moved to an Arizona condo.
- December 2015: because seasonal rates tripled rent, moved to an apartment.
- July 2016: my wife was caked to an Ohio church, so we’ve stayed with my wife’s mom.
- August 2016: We are moving with her to a new house.
We all need a moving day. I came to that conclusion when we were selling all our stuff to go to Arizona.
We need a moving day because when we get settled, our thinking settles with it. We become a little stale. We start to settle for the broken door knob, the dripping bathroom faucet and the overgrown bush in the front yard. We may even begin to block those problems out of our mind. However, it’s amazing what you notice when it’s time to sell a house.
We need a moving day because we were born for an adventure. It doesn’t have to be an adventure across the country. But a move forces you to plan your next steps. Whether it’s the next house, or a venture into a new city, this new venture makes one feel alive.
We need a moving day because our stuff weighs us down and we need to simplify. It’s amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years. When you have to decide between moving all that stuff or shedding some of it, you soon realize how little you really need.
So yes, we all need a moving day. I am glad we took a chance on an adventure and found out what was really important and what was not.